09th June 2014
Event: Dirty Weekend 2014
Client: Rat Race Events Ltd
Live Date(s): 10th May 2014
Location: Burghley Estate, Lincolnshire
Brands Involved: Rat Race / Men’s Health
Event / Project background:
Rat Race’s Dirty Weekend event, the biggest obstacle race on Earth, returned to Burghley House for it’s second year and Gorilla were once again brought on board to handle the course and obstacle design and build.
The 20 mile, 200 obstacle course would host 6000 competitors on event day and for 2014 the brief was to redesign several course sections and to go bigger and better than last year, with improved competitor flow.
Combining use of the permanent obstacle structures we designed and built in the grounds of Burghley Estate last year with a revised plan for course layout and some massive new structures, we brought together a course which could surely be classed as the biggest, most challenging and most interesting of it’s genre.
GORILLA role summary:
Design, build and de-rig of 200 obstacles over 20 mile course.
GORILLA role detail:
- Project / Event management
- Obstacle / course design and structural engineering calculations
- Obstacle / course budget management
- 3D modeling – course and obstacles
- Obstacle / course on-site construction and de-rig
- Site mapping and aerial visuals
- Logistics and transport
- Specialist sourcing
- Health and Safety – planning, documentation and risk assessment
On site build:
- Ground excavation and prep – various plant and machinery
- Chainsaw and tree work
- Metalwork / light engineering
- Boat / water install on relevant course water sections
2 month planning, design and budgeting period. 5 week on site build, 1 week de-rig.
Result / Outcome:
Another very successful event. Setup, operation and de-rig all went smoothly. Both the client and the historic venue involved were very happy with all operations and final outcome. Competitor feedback was very positive with new obstacles and course design going down well.
A behind the scenes look at the event by Mudstacle on our YouTube channel:
Full course highlights video by Mudstacle on our YouTube channel: